A GLOBAL HUB
ON CHILDREN AND HIV
Our mission is to improve the lives of orphans and vulnerable
children through connecting the global community and providing
the most up-to-date information on HIV and other adversities.
Megan Collins for CRS
AREAS OF FOCUS
- CAPACITY BUILDING & SYSTEM STRENGTHENINGSystem strengthening includes building capacity of families, communities, civil society organizations and governments to provide social services, case management and referrals.
- CHILD PROTECTIONChild protection prevents and responds to abuse, exploitation and neglect, and family separation to ensure that children are cared for in a loving and supportive environment.
- ECONOMIC STRENGTHENINGEconomic strengthening interventions protect and strengthen the economic situation of households and empowers families to provide for the essential needs of their children.
- EDUCATIONEducation ensures children have access to a continuum of early childhood development opportunities, quality schools and life skills training to secure their future.
- HEALTH & NUTRITIONHealth and nutrition interventions for vulnerable children should provide a continuum of care that prevents and treats illness and promotes wellbeing for children and their families.
- PROGRAMMINGProgramming for vulnerable children includes general guidance on implementation, monitoring and evaluation and assuring quality services.
- PSYCHOSOCIAL SUPPORTPsychosocial support provides children and families with resources that build internal resilience for emotional, social, mental and spiritual wellbeing.
- SPECIAL POPULATIONSSpecial populations of children require additional support with individualized approaches for protection and inclusion.
Task-shifted interventions for depression delivered by lay primary health-care workers in low-income and middle-income countriesMay 17, 2019
As we think more and more about how to integrate mental health support in OVC programs, the results of a cluster-randomised trial in Nigeria showed that task-shifted interventions delivered by lay health workers were associated with remission in more than three-quarters of patients with moderate to severe depression. The two interventions they tried were: Fully… View ArticleRead more »
The social service workforce plays a critical role in a well-functioning child protection system by identifying and managing risks, and facilitating access to and delivery of social services to enhance child and family well-being. These guidelines are a compilation of evidence of ‘what works’ and lessons learned from the field and are designed to accelerate… View ArticleRead more »
Identifying Local Constructs of Resilience, Determined and Empowered Adolescent Girls and Young Women Study ReportMay 10, 2019
AVSI and the AfriChild Center conducted qualitative research to understand the realities of adolescent girls and young women (AGYW) and the local constructs of determined, resilient and empowered AGYW in Uganda. The results suggest that determined, resilient and empowered AGYW are characterized by having the knowledge and skills to become successful, is economically self-sufficient not… View ArticleRead more »
This resource was developed for health care providers, counselors and multi-disciplinary care teams who are working with adolescents living with HIV. The objective is to provide care teams with the best treatment options for young patients with high viral loads and the support needed to achieve viral load suppression or to switch to a new… View ArticleRead more »
As PEPFAR enters its 16th year, this event will highlight the contributions of OVC programs to the global 95-95-95 targets. Additionally, OVC programs...