A GLOBAL HUB
ON CHILDREN AND HIV
Our mission is to improve the lives of orphans and vulnerable
children through connecting the global community and providing
the most up-to-date information on HIV and other adversities.
Megan Collins for CRS
AREAS OF FOCUS
- CAPACITY BUILDING & SYSTEM STRENGTHENINGSystem strengthening includes building capacity of families, communities, civil society organizations and governments to provide social services, case management and referrals.
- CHILD PROTECTIONChild protection prevents and responds to abuse, exploitation and neglect, and family separation to ensure that children are cared for in a loving and supportive environment.
- ECONOMIC STRENGTHENINGEconomic strengthening interventions protect and strengthen the economic situation of households and empowers families to provide for the essential needs of their children.
- EDUCATIONEducation ensures children have access to a continuum of early childhood development opportunities, quality schools and life skills training to secure their future.
- HEALTH & NUTRITIONHealth and nutrition interventions for vulnerable children should provide a continuum of care that prevents and treats illness and promotes wellbeing for children and their families.
- PROGRAMMINGProgramming for vulnerable children includes general guidance on implementation, monitoring and evaluation and assuring quality services.
- PSYCHOSOCIAL SUPPORTPsychosocial support provides children and families with resources that build internal resilience for emotional, social, mental and spiritual wellbeing.
- SPECIAL POPULATIONSSpecial populations of children require additional support with individualized approaches for protection and inclusion.
Integrating Early Childhood Development and Health in Eswatini, Lesotho, and Zimbabwe: A Scale-Up AssessmentNovember 11, 2019
In this report, MEASURE Evaluation provides the results from scale-up assessments of interventions that integrated early childhood development (ECD) and prevention of mother-to-child transmission (PMTCT) as part of PEPFAR-funded OVC programs in Eswatini, Lesotho, and Zimbabwe. The report includes suggestions and recommendations related to scaling up these interventions in each country; and lessons learned from working… View ArticleRead more »
Suubi+Adherence study protocol: A family economic empowerment intervention addressing HIV treatment adherence for perinatally infected adolescentsNovember 8, 2019
This study aims to advance knowledge and inform the development of the next generation of programs aimed at increasing adherence to HIV treatment for HIV+ adolescents in low-resource regions such as sub-Saharan Africa. This is the first time research has looked at integrating and testing family economic empowerment and stability-focused interventions for HIV+ adolescents in… View ArticleRead more »
Project SOAR conducts HIV operations research to identify practical solutions to improve HIV prevention, care, and treatment services. They have been conducting a number of research studies on documenting the unique vulnerabilities of these orphans and vulnerable children and their caregivers, and examining strategies to mitigate the impacts of HIV on them. This research brief… View ArticleRead more »
Recent levels and trends in HIV incidence rates among adolescent girls and young women in ten high-prevalence African countries: a systematic review and meta-analysisOctober 28, 2019
What difference has antiretroviral therapy (ART) made in the incidence of HIV among adolescent girls and young women? This study aimed to summarize direct estimates of HIV incidence among adolescent girls and young women since ART and before large investments in targeted prevention for those in sub-Saharan Africa. The findings were derived from a systematic… View ArticleRead more »
There is growing recognition that children of all ages and in all settings are at great risk of experiencing violence. However, being aware of a probl...